Friday, August 7, 2009

DEEP THOUGHTS FROM THE 3RD TRIMESTER...

31 Weeks!! Only 9 to go!!! This week, Ray and I started our Childbirth Education Series. I was shocked that there were so many couples in our class!! So many babies are due around the same time as Taylor!! The class was very educational, a little thrilling and, to be honest, a bit terrifying. What are the stages of labor, how will I know if I’m in labor, when do I go to the hospital? So much to think about and remember!

At the end of the class, we went around the room and expressed what this pregnancy means to us. The class was a strong mixture of ages, social classes, and races. So, I was anxious to hear everyone’s thoughts. For the most part, all of us had similar responses…Its our first child…We are starting our family…Its our little miracle baby…The positives went on and on. The very last couple to speak was a bit older than most of us in the class. And for this pair, the husband did the speaking,

“Its our first baby. And, I’m not gonna lie, we are SCARED!”

The entire class roared with laughter, not because his comment was funny. Simply because it was real, it was the most honest answer in the class. Because, lets admit it, as happy as we are about bringing a beautiful baby girl into the world, Ray and I are a bit scared. Sleepless nights, screaming baby, and diaper changes are nothing compared to the big picture. From the moment that Taylor takes her first breath outside of the womb, we are responsible for something so much greater than ourselves. Another life. Raising Taylor will be a roller coaster of emotions, filled with tears of joys, sighs of frustration, and many, many prayers. God has provided us with an amazing gift, and we are so grateful. And although we may not know everything about babies, toddlers, and teenagers, and we are a little nervous, we know our faith, friends, and families will help guide us in the path to being phenomenal parents.

5 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to tell you the emotions I felt as I read through this update. Phenomenal is just the beginning of the words to describe you and Ray as parents. For PopPop and me to know that our grandchildren will be raised in Christian homes along with faith, friends, and family just makes our hearts swell with joy.
    How BLESSED we are.....I love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to add....if you ever want to change careers (hmmmm...again) you should be a writer.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries Jen... if you think you're in labor, I'm only one call away! I'm used to answering questions that start with "I think I might be in labor but I don't know". I LOVE your post! You are a great writer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto to the above mentioned. A great writer, indeed! Do you believe I cried when I read this. You will be an amazing mom! I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post gave me chills! Jen, you and Ray will be amazing parents. I have no doubt. Taylor is so blessed and lucky! Can't wait to see you in a little while! :)
    I love you

    ReplyDelete