Sunday, August 30, 2009

HUMPTY DUMPTY SAT ON A WALL...

We all had one…a little something that offered so much security and comfort when we were young. It may have been a blankie, that had been washed and rewashed to the point were the corners were fraying and the yarns running thin. Or maybe it was a stuffed animal, missing an eye and patches of fur. In a prior post, I mentioned how excited Ray and I were to find his teddy, Chris. We washed Chris, added a little pink bow around his neck, and stuck it on a shelf for Taylor to one day find and fall in love with.

Ever since we found this treasure from Ray’s childhood, I’ve been thinking about my Humpty Dumpty. That’s right, my tiny heart always found a bit more comfort when I had my Humpty Dumpty. Dumpty went EVERYWHERE with me, playgrounds, air shows, bedtime…thank goodness for washing machines! And most often, if I was dragging Humpty Dumpty around by one leg, you could bet I was also sucking on my paci. And so the two become my personal security blanket…Dumpty Paci. I believe, and my mom can confirm this, that I actually went through more than one Humpty Dumpty throughout my toddler years. Poor little guy, the legs would fall off, the tuft of yellow hair on his crown pulled out…and you know what they say, all the kings horses and all the kings men, couldn’t put Humpty together again. So, to even consider that Taylor could inherit my Dumpty was out of the question. I will always remember his blue and white stripe ‘pants’ and his silly egg shaped eyes. Somewhere, I’m sure, my mom has saved the carcass of good ole Humpty Dumpty.

Whenever we go to children’s shops, I find myself looking at all of the stuffed animals. Today, most of the stuffed animals are more commercialized…Dora, Diego, Nemo, Lightening McQueen, etc. Once I was old enough to really reminisce on those things that were so special to me as a child, I began to notice that I never saw Humpty Dumpty propped up on shelves in the store. I began to think the classic nursery rhymes had been squeezed out by animated videos and more enticing plots.

BUT, it appears as though the nursery rhymes that so many of us loved as children, just might be making a comeback. Why do I think so? My mom walked into Lewis Gifts and sitting on the shelf…HUMPTY DUMPTY!! She couldn’t resist, and I can’t blame her. Taylor has her very own, fresh, clean Dumpty with all four appendages and an adorable tuft of yellow hair on his crown. So, although Taylor will not be inheriting my Dumpty, she is receiving her very own, representing something that meant so much to me, so many years ago.



6 comments:

  1. Jen- You are absolutely ADORABLE!! I can't get over that you are ALL BELLY! Taylor has no where else to go but out!!! You are such a cute mommy! Seeing you the other day made me smile! I love the humpty dumpty!! I know she will love it bunches. Thanks for allowing me to feel a part being so far away! Thinking about you daily!
    - Heather Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer- Who knew that some 26 years later...dumpty would enter our lives again? You are so right.. Dumpty paci was always there to soothe, warm, snuggle with,cheer and wipe away a tear. Wish I could have "put dumpty together again" for Taylor but truly he is well worn. I do have his carcass though....we will show him to Taylor one day. I hope that the love of Dumpty is just the beginning of the MANY things you and Taylor share together. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, when I saw the photo of you and Dumpty paci, it made me laugh out loud! I remember it perfectly! And what's weird is that it sounded pretty normal, after a while, to ask,"where's Dumpty paci?," and EVERYONE knew just who to look for! :-) Can't wait to meet Taylor! Love, Laura Roe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your mom found the new version of Humpty! I love his, (or is it her) big smiling face. Taylor will love it as soon as she opens her eyes. Love, Mary (Gramma)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You, Ray and Taylor are very special people in the lives and hearts of many. We all want to share our love and joy we have for all of you. The gifts that Taylor received are one way to express these feelings. I know that Taylor will continue to have the love and support of all your family and friends through out her life. Be prepared to be amazed by the life long gifts you will receive. I Love all three of you... Big Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, OMG, all this time i never knew you had a humpty dumpty too!!! i had two too, cause i kept forgetting mine at home. & when it was time for bed at yia yia's house my dad would just come pick me up instead of bringing my humpty when i called cause i forgot it everytime! mine looked more like taylor's pink one. my yia yia's friend made my first 1st & 2nd one. unfortunately, i never liked the 2nd one cause it wasn't soft & worn out like the 1st. the 2nd one lived, i will show you next time i c u!!! sara had to give hers to santa to get her presents one year cause she got "too" old for hers! haha.
    PS my godchild has a (really like 4) giraffe named gerry so they can alternate wear & tear & he never goes without one while the other is being washed. i will send you the pic where he found 2 gerry's!!!
    sorry for the long message!
    love you, ray and tay!!!

    ReplyDelete