Friday, March 6, 2009

9 WEEKS!!!!

Today, I am 9 weeks pregnant. I am well into my 1st Trimester, and boy am I feeling it.

Lately, my emotions have just been shot. Most of the books I been reading pass this off as hormones, but I think it may be a coming to terms with the realities of the first few months of pregnancy. Although I have been exposed to the woes of the 1st trimester through my sister, sister-in-law, and numerous friends, I guess I was a bit naive.

First, I have learned, that for precious few, morning sickness is a very loose term. My mornings tend to last well into the evening hours. Secondly, I have decided that after surviving the 1st Trimester, I will never take for granted those foods that I have always seemed to enjoy...especially meat. I have lost all desire to eat meat. Any meat, red meat, poultry, fish. Within the most recent weeks, I have picked up on several other 'side-effects' that I never knew were coming.

But, really, how can I complain. I have a beautiful little baby inside. Gods greatest miracle, what an amazing experience. Its totally worth it. And, now, our little creature is actually starting to look like a little baby! I've been following the American Pregnancy Association's 'Your Developing Baby' and I was shocked to read how far along our little guy, or girl, is today...


WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH YOUR BABY?
While your baby is still extremely small, he/she is now ready for rapid weight gain. The baby is beginning to look more like a little person since the embryonic tail is completely gone by week 9. The eyelids are fully formed, have fused shut, and will open again during week 28. All the baby's joints such as the knees, elbows, shoulders, ankles, and wrists are working and allowing the baby to move about freely within the amniotic sac. Your baby's heart began beating around day 24, but now his/her heart has divided into four chambers, and the valves are beginning to develop. Your baby can also make a fist, and he/she may begin sucking his/her thumb. Your baby is about the size of a grape, measuring a little over 1 ½ inches (1.67) from its head to its rump, and weighs a fraction of an ounce.*

2 comments:

  1. Jen,

    Try and hang in there, the morning and evening sickness shall pass. Boy oh boy do I remember those days.I promise it will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sacrifices are worth it in the end. Try keeping salty crackers handy. I kept mine by the bed. This is to prepare you for all of the many years ahead. Make Ray cater to your every whim. Its no fair he doesn't get a little of this part, lol. It will get better. Love you, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete