Friday, May 1, 2009

CRAVINGS...

Everyone is quite amazed that I haven’t begun getting crazy cravings. Oh, I’m sure the cravings will come. It seems inevitable. Before we know it, I’ll be sending Ray on midnight runs all over town.

I did find on a trip to the grocery store this past weekend that the produce section had quite the hold on me. Whole Foods had just sprinkled the produce. I was drawn to the gorgeous colors of the fruits and veggies and the smells were AMAZING. So I stocked up on carrots, apples, grapefruit, corn, and strawberries. I’ve been indulging in these ever since. Nothing beats organic, locally grown produce!

Of course most people don’t consider these as ‘cravings’. Pregnancy Cravings are supposed to be somewhat odd…egg sandwiches with pickles, peanut butter on oranges, maybe even dirt. Or maybe an indulgent you wouldn’t normally allow yourself…cupcakes, M&Ms, strawberry shortcake, thin mints (I must admit I’ve eaten 2 1/2 boxes over the past 3 weeks, but that’s not out of the ordinary for me during ‘girl scout season’).

If I really think about it, maybe I have had a few minor cravings that I can blame on the growing baby and raging hormones…last Wednesday, all I could think about was movie theater popcorn, smothered in butter. So, I drug my hubby to the movie and enjoyed a LARGE bucket or greasy popcorn…HEAVEN. On another afternoon, someone walked into my office with a peppermint in her mouth. I soon as I heard the clacking of the mint against her teeth, I lost all focus and could only think of one thing…LEMON DROPS!! I’ve yet to find a bag of lemon drops here in New Orleans, so this little craving is still festering inside me.

I’d love to hear what other mothers craved during pregnancy. So, if you remember a random something yummy (or not so yummy) that you craved while you were preggers, leave it in the Comments section. Husbands, you may remember your wife’s crazy cravings better than she does…you’re welcome to leave a comment too!

8 comments:

  1. My mom craved beignets! She says it was nothing out of the ordinary to wake up in the middle of the night and make my dad bring her to Morning Call which was open 24 hrs. I think this totally justifies my addiction to Cafe Du Monde! I have struggled with this since childhood and I am afraid there is no hope. This is one battle I will lose. If I could only have one food to live on for the rest of my life....yes.....its a shame....but it would be beignets!!!!

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. With the size Braylin was at birth, I think it's obvious I craved ANYTHING sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iced tea (at the beginning), chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream(at the end), homemade italian dressing (even now I love it!) Indulge Jen, you deserve it!
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didnt have crazy cravings, either, EXCEPT that i wanted a thick, belgian waffle with fresh strawberries on it throughout my pregnancy and never got one!!! we went to so many different restaurants, too, but never found it.
    and then maybe grilled chicken sandwiches - i ate the heck out of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot about milk and vanilla milkshakes! Jonathan will have some strong bones for sure!
    Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I craved ice which I think is very odd!!!!I guess because it is not sweet.I just remember every morning, noon and night I had to have me a cup of ice.I could not live without it even though it's not good for you.So be WARE....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I craved peanut butter M&Ms! & I never ate sweets before Emily! I only remember sending David out one night.. & it was around midnight- for a McDonald's cheeseburger! haha

    Natalie Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  8. I craved grilled cheese sandwiches with Sarah. Actally I probably craved everything with her because that was back in the day when the Dr. would put us on NO SALT diets and believe me there is salt in EVERYTHING!! With you I loved to eat handfuls of dry roasted peanuts and chocolate chips. Guess that satisfied the salty and the sweet. Don't think I ever made your daddy "go for" anything...he may remember differently. LOL

    ReplyDelete